Thursday 27 November 2014

Emraan Hashmi: In Bollywood everybody does Ungli!

Emraan Hashmi has come a long way in Bollywood and though he hasn’t delivered back-to-back blockbusters, he still has a huge fan following. His next release Ungli is mutli-starrer and features Kangana Ranaut, Randeep Hooda, Sanjay Dutt, Angad Bedi and Neil Bhoopalam in the lead roles. Since the film is around the corner, we caught up the Shanghai actor to talk about his latest outing. Though I had to wait a bit before we got down to business, it was a delight to chat with Emraan because he is certainly one actor who isn’t afraid to speak his mind. He is humble, witty and very clear about what he wants….

Dance Basanti song which was released recently has been widely appreciated. How was with shooting the item number especially with Shraddha Kapoor?

It was fun. I think most of the songs in the film are such which that have recall value. Be it Dance Basanti or Pakeezah. As for working with Shraddha, it was really good. She is a fantastic actress and a very good dancer. So yeah…it was good and the makers even managed to convince me to dance.

You have teamed up with Kangana Ranaut after a long time. Has your equation chanced and is there any pressure to match up to the chemistry that you guys shared in your earlier films?

You know Kangana made her acting debut with me in Gangster which I think was around eight years back. Since then she has come a long way and she is an amazing actress. In this film, her role is more sporty and the story is about five friends fighting the system but yet it’s fun and entertaining. So the love story is a sub plot. Gangster was more of love story. Raaz had horror and love story as a part of it. So I think Kangana and I have done our best to enhance whatever was on the paper and keeping in mind what was expected from us. So as far as the chemistry and all goes, we have achieved quite a bit but then you can’t do more than what is on the paper.

Reports are doing the rounds about your co-star Randeep Hooda not promoting the film as much as others? Is there a problem?

That you’ll have to ask Randeep….as an actor I have allotted certain time to act, perform and promote and when I am doing my work I don’t look behind my shoulder and see what others are doing. Every actor has a certain way of working. I share a fantastic relation with Randeep otherwise. There is no bad blood. We have done films earlier as well and even Kangana has worked with him in few films. I have also worked with Sanju (Sanjay Dutt) in the film. I have always admired his work and there were always talks about getting us together in the film but we finally came together for this. It was great working with him but unfortunately it was also kind of emotional when there was the ruling of the court. But we had fun times and everybody on the set shared great working relationship.

Makers are promoting the film basically on your name. You have even shot a promotional video. Do you feel the pressure is more on you?

I don’t think about all these things. If you succumb to pressure, then you won’t enjoy your work. It will take away the fun element out of your work. I have worked in the film and given my best shot so I am happy to lend my name.

You’re doing well in the industry and you have huge fan base too. But will you ever do a typical Bollywood masala film to gain that 100 crore or 200 crore box office status?

I just can’t. I would rather do a film which I believe in than do a trashy film which will make a lot of money at the box office. That’s how it is for me.

Next year you have some interesting projects lined-up – Mr. X, Hamari Adhuri Kahani and biopic on cricketer Mohammed Azharuddin. Are you trying to reinvent yourself by doing films of different genres?

Yes…it’s a conscious decision. I have hit the 10 year mark in Bollywood and I think it’s time to reinvent myself. In fact, every actor should. It’s difficult to do films of different genres but that’s what I believe in. Some actors like to constantly choose out one thing to saturation and we have seen that in our industry a lot. But in life, I like to constantly change things around. It’s not that I have not been repetitive, I have. But it’s very important that after certain mark in the industry to reinvent so I am trying my hands at all these different projects and they bring lot of challenges as well.

For the longest time you have been tagged as the serial kisser of Bollywood. So what is your advice to the new crop of actors who are very cool about kissing onscreen and doing intimate scenes?

I don’t know… I mean I have not seen any of their films. But things have obviously taken a bold turn in Bollywood. It was done 10 years back in my films and was considered a very bold step. So I would love to tell the young actors to carry this forward and have fun onscreen. You know there is always a phase that you have to kiss good-bye which I am doing now. It has cost my marriage sometimes but yeah best of luck to them… (Smiles)

Everybody wants to see you and Alia Bhatt together onscreen. When will that happen?

She will have to play my sister in the film otherwise it would be twisted. And the thing is so far in none my films I have had sister. That’s the rule…Emraan Hashmi can’t have a sister in a film …laughs. So far nobody has offered us a script. We’ll do a film if it justifies our coming together.

Do you think the media has never really understood your equation with the Bhatts because every now and then negative stories keep floating?

I don’t blame the media because the kind of relationship we share is hard to understand …laughs and I don’t mind the negative stories either.

According to you, one person in Bollywood who has a habit of doing ungli?

Everybody in Bollywood does ungli (grins). That’s how things work!

Has anyone ever done ungli to in the film industry?

No….nobody has ever done ungli to me!

How do you tackle a person who does ungli?

Either you show them your hand or get back by doing ungli…. (Smiles)

What will compel Emraan Hashmi to show his middle ungli?

If someone really ticks me then Emraan Hashmi will show his middle ungli or as I said earlier show them a hand…

No comments:

Post a Comment