Sunday 1 September 2013

Emraan Hashmi on being Bollywood's most successful rebel.

Photo: Emraan Hashmi on being Bollywood's most successful rebel.
By his own admission, Emraan Hashmi doesn’t have the looks, dancing skills or swagger of a Bollywood star. But over nine years and 27 films (including the racy Murder and Jannat), the Mahesh and Mukesh Bhatt protégé has edged his way to the top. Now, he’s being courted by directors like Karan Johar and Vishal Bhardwaj. On a muggy afternoon, Hashmi talks about his place in the Bollywood set.
ANUPAMA CHOPRA: There is a lot of buzz about you making it to the Bollywood A-list. But you always counter that with, “I don’t know what the A-list is.”
EMRAAN HASHMI: I know my reality and I’m happy in that space, so I don’t want to be part of a certain list and be expected to live by that. With other actors, the more successful they get, the safer they play. Most of them tend to become a caricature of what they’ve been doing. I want to surprise people.
Aren’t you relieved you aren’t the Hindi film industry’s ‘kissy-boy’ any more?
I don’t know if that tag is completely off! But the question still pops up, tabloids want to sell that image. I’m trying to move away from it… God forbid, if it doesn’t work out for me, then I’m back to my old ways [laughs].
What are the old ways?
The old ways are essentially A-rated films with great music and a different story. Not Hugh Grant-ish rom-coms.
Trade analysts always talk about your connect with the masses. Do you ever analyse that?
It has a lot to do with the subjects I choose. It’s been thought out by the filmmakers, first by Mahesh Bhatt: the kind of roles he had me play suited me to a T. That hid my negatives and projected the positives. And a new kind of hero emerged with my films. A man from the lower strata of society who wanted all the luxuries of life. He always got himself a very beautiful woman. Whatever it was, here was an individual who was like no one else, right?
You said in an interview, “I sin onscreen, so I prefer not to sin off-screen.” What are you like off-screen? Are you a regular father and husband?
Yes, I’m a very regular guy. My wife has been a schoolteacher. I have a bunch of friends who are not associated with films, who I’ve known from childhood. I know some people like to eat, s**t and piss films—even though they’re not doing films.
And does your wife critique your work?
Yes, she’s very harsh.
Has she drawn lines for you?
There’s no line. Nor do I discuss a film with her until she sees it in the theatre. I’d rather go through the fight for that one day than for six months during the making of the film.
We don’t see you on red carpets, awards shows or in so-and-so’s party. Is that by design?
Award ceremonies are not based on merit, but on attendance. I would perform in the ceremony for money. Money is real. I’ve always played the rebel, doing films that have broken the status quo. I have not dealt with clichés and award ceremonies are the biggest cliché.
What about commercials?
Till two years ago, the only things I could have endorsed were lip balms and condoms. Now, I have a few offers, which I might take up in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment