Monday 13 April 2015

No Master Piece Complex, Just Cricket: Emraan Hashmi on Playing Azhar & His Film Choices

Acting in a biopic is one challenge that most actors relish. Emraan Hashmi has got that chance to act in the forthcoming Balaji Films production of the Azharuddin biopic, and the actor is leaving no stone unturned to ensure he does justice to this part of the controversial cricket icon. The film will be directed by Tony D’Souza and co star Prachi Desai as Azhar’s first wife, Naureen. He said, “It’s a very turbulent life that Mohammed Azharuddin has had. As an actor, I am finding it scary and very pressuring to play this role. I had sleepless nights when I signed it of trying to see what I can put in this film; of how close can we get to the real Azhar. We will go very close to his real life and his mannerisms and body language. People have lived his successes, his pitfalls and his match fixing scandal. So people are very close to him and I have to portray that on screen! So the pressure’s going to get worse as we begin to shoot but I have realized that its films like this one that are most special to an actor. Films that give you sleepless nights; not just from the audience but from the man himself! You feel that you must not let that person down. It’s very sensitive. ”
To get his role right, Emraan has been training in cricket to get as close to signature Azharuddin poses as possible. He said, “ We are trying to get in close to 50 overs of practice every day. I have already hit about 10,000 balls. It’s very difficult. I wont be able to recreate his experience on the cricket field. But it has to look almost exactly like Azhar playing. At least I have the benefit of ‘Cut’! ;(Cutting a shot) and a retake. But still, I am trying to get my shots right. Azhar is a very’ wristy’ player. So his flick (through mid wicket) and his leg glance are still remembered. He had a very distinct style he had which can be called textbook Azhar.”
Having won accolades for his performance in ‘Shanghai’ in 2012, Emraan chose the offbeat international film ‘Tigers’ with acclaimed Oscar winning filmmaker Danis Tanovic. While MR X Is a mainstream commercial film, Emraan is keen to continue balancing both- content oriented films & the mass entertainer that made him the smooch king of Bollywood. He said, “ It’s hard to come by content oriented scripts every now and then. When you get one you grab them with both hands. But till then, you’ve got to work right? There are different genres and our audiences have different tastes- likes and dislikes. Since the masses like a certain kind of cinema, so I choose films like ‘MR X”. At the same time, I will choose a ‘Shanghai’ or the Azhar film or ‘Hamari Adhuri Kahani’. So I am not suffering from the masterpiece complex that I want to wait for only quality scripts. I would always like to keep it a mixed bag. I believe in working on my craft as you become rusty otherwise. Good bad or whatever else- you’ve got to keep working on films!.”
Emraan Hashmi’s ‘Mr X’ will hit theaters this Friday across India. After that, he will be seen in ‘Hamari Adhuri Kahani’ along with Vidya Balan & Rajkumar Rao in June this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment