Tuesday 9 December 2014

Heart to heart with Emraan Hashmi

Emraan Hashmi was last seen in Ungli and he will be seen next in Hamari Adhuri Kahaani. He talks about lessons, success, and failure.

Box office failure
I didn't even care if the film did great at the box office. For me, it was always doing the job. I don't like flying too high and I don't like getting demoralised. I have faced enough criticism in my career. In fact, I am my worst critic. Thankfully, I didn't get the dream start in the industry, so such stuff does not bother me. I had people telling me that I would never make it as this place wasn't for me. People say such stuff when films don't fare well. But when you are sure of your film's integrity, the only way to go is up. Yes, the last one-and-a-half years haven't been that great. There have been good films that haven't worked, which is kind of scary.

Disowning movies
I don't do that. That's why I've always felt like an outsider in the industry—I don't function the same way. I get emotionally attached but detach myself as much as I can when the movie hits the theatres. I keep my flops closer to my heart than my hits — I cherish my failures, they make me stronger. Hits on the other hand make you complacent. I don't see mistakes as a bad thing. I would encourage my son to make mistakes. You've got to make 10 mistakes to know what that one right is.

Learning lessons
I've made mistakes; I've had successful films. That's the brilliant thing with this industry that you're always learning. Things tend to get easier, but then that's scary because you stop testing yourself. You always do films that test you as a person and as an actor. You always seem to set the clock back to zero, somehow. I am being paid more…that's changed!

Producing movies
For starters, I'd need a good script. I know what I won't do. I won't do a typical rom-com. I can't stand those! They're extremely misleading. Love in real life is not that way. I don't like Hugh Grant and I don't like the kind of movies he stars in. I'd rather do an intense love story that is closer to reality.

The serial kisser tag
That was one crappy trend to start. But Aamir was doing it before I was!
On a serious note, I didn't choose films that way. I was being offered films that went with my bold image one after the other and then Bollywood took a new turn. Now, 10 years later, you have this new bunch of kids taking it a step further.

No comments:

Post a Comment