Wednesday 10 September 2014

Serial kisser Emraan Hashmi hopes his first international film Tigers will change his image.

Serial kisser Emraan Hashmi, whose first international film Tigers, premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival here on Monday to a huge response, hopes the film will “mark my re-invention as an actor.’’

Directed by Oscar-winner Danis Tanovic, Tigers is based a true-life Pakistani story in which pharmaceutical salesman Ayan (played by Emraan Hashmi) finds that a multinational’s baby formula he is selling is to new mothers is causing deaths of babies.

Newly married Ayan, who had quit the same job with a local drug company because people were not buying their products despite being five-times cheaper, joins the multinational Lasta which encourages him to virtually bribe doctors and pharmacies to push its products in Pakistan.

But he shaken when one day he finds that the baby formula he is selling is causing deaths of new-born babies. With his wife’s backing he challenges the might of the multinationals and powers that be in Pakistan.

Shot in India and Berlin, the film, which has been produced by Prashita Chaudhary of Cinemorphic and Guneet Monga of Sikhya Entertainment, is Emraan’s first major foray on the international stage.

“I hope this film marks my reinvention…hopefully I won’t be typecast any more,’’ said Hashmi in an interview at the premiere of Tigers.

Laughing, the actor, who has done over 30-odd Bollywood films, said the media gave him the tag of a serial kisser. “They (the media) say such things to play to the gallery. But I go by stories, not by what the media says.’’

Hashmi said, “Unlike my other Bollywood films which need a bit of tadka, this film requires realism. This film needed that your role should be near to reality. This film was a complete departure from what I have done in Bollywood so far.’’

Hashmi, who according to producer Guneet Monga, was the first-choice for the lead role in the film, said he jumped at the role because the story touched him.

“It is a dramatic story of an ordinary man who takes on an MC (multinational company). Anurag Kashyap called me and (director) Danis sent me the script. Andy Paterson had written a fantastic script. It is one of the best scripts I have ever seen and I was blown away. As a parent of four-and-a-half-year-old boy, I could relate to the story,’’ Hashmi said.

The actor said he hoped that this film will spark a debate on the malpractices of multinationals and get the issue to the forefront.

Calling the shooting of Tigers a pleasant experience, Hashmi said, “Danis gave me space as an actor…I tried to internalize what my character (Ayan) went through as a struggling salesman in Pakistan.’’

Hashmi said he is willing to move on to the international stage, just like Irrfan Khan.

“I am looking at good stories and ready to juggle between Bollywood commercial cinema and international films.’’

For his young and pretty co-star Geetanjali (who plays his wife), “Emraan is a pretty cool guy…he is chilled.’’

Hashmi said he was waiting with bated breath how the audiences receive the film.
































No comments:

Post a Comment