Saturday 12 July 2014

How did Emran Hashmi get into films?

I was never really interested in studies and was hot-headed and rebellious in college, as I was totally confused and insecure, but was not coming to terms with it. Rahul Bhatt, Mohit Suri and a whole bunch of us would just hang out at Pali Hill looking at these fast cars with blaring music. We were extremely naughty kids. I knew that I could use my innocent looks to get away with murder. Mukeshji was close to my grandmom and would often come home and tell her, 'Yeh kya khada rehta hai aapke nukkad pe, dukan ke paas, doston ke saath.' He told her to send me and that's the first time I went to Bhatt sahab's house. He gave me a lecture on becoming clear and I didn't understand half the things he was saying, but I started assisting Vikram Bhatt. I was a lazy assistant and hated going and calling actors from vans and had a big ego. Mohit would do that, I wouldn't. Bhatt sahab saw that and felt I could be an actor and nudged me to become one. I joined acting classes, but midway got an offer to act in Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar. But I messed up so badly that I was thrown out. It became a sort of ego issue for me and I continued going on the set to see what I needed to do to become an actor. My grandmom was more realistic and knew that I neither looked like an actor nor could dance nor had the passion for Hindi films, so she was happy with me taking up second or third lead roles to at least make money. But I was clear that I needed to do something substantial and could not be just another name on the credit list. I remember that I refused to dub for my first film Footpath. This assistant told me, 'Bachchan ki tarah dub karo.' I said 'Fuck-off' and showed him the middle finger, as I didn't want to be like anyone else. Finally, Vikram Bhatt had to dub in my place as the film had to be released.

Emraan Hashmi.



No comments:

Post a Comment