Saturday 16 August 2014

Emraan Hashmi: Raja Natwarlal is a family film with kisses.

During his recent visit to the Bombay Times office, Emraan Hashmi impressed us with his disarming honesty as he spoke about Raja Natwarlal, his wife's reaction to his films and his Bollywood journey. 

Of course, since it's Emraan, questions about kissing scenes abounded and he even joked about writing a book on the subject. Excerpts:

#With Raja Natwarlal, you have gone back to your comfort zone...

Yes, it has been a year-and-a-half, devoid of what I've been known for. We've packed all of it in this film. It's making up for lost time and lost kisses (smiles). I call my cinema, more parallel mainstream. It has got a great story and is emotionally charged. Raja Natwarlal is a family film with kisses.


#You had earlier stated that you had almost learnt this film's script by heart. Are you this involved in every film?

I put in this much effort into every film. Like Shanghai required a month of theatre workshops to break the mould for me. A film like Raja Natwarlal is in another zone. It's similar to my other films in some ways because it is in the grey zone and is about a cool, urban character. But I had to work hard to get the swagger right and bring something new while doing the scamster act. To play the street guy convincingly, I had to learn a few things like teen patti.

#Your co-star Humaima Malick said you are very good at romance. How do you react to that compliment? And what did your wife have to say about it?

My wife has not read that, so I don't know how she would react. I'm not a romantic at heart, I'm not into flowers and candlelight dinners, I'm into other freaky stuff. When Humaima said that, she obviously meant onscreen because the relationship between these two characters, Raja and Nazia, has come out well. She was nervous when she met me for the first time at home for narration. I purposely kept a distance and pretended to be reserved, so that she doesn't think I'll pounce on her and start kissing her! She felt I was arrogant. But after four- to-five days of shoot, it was good.

#Your son Ayan has apparently not seen any of your films. Will Raja Natwarlal be the first?

Yeah, he'll see it. We'll have to shut his eyes during the kissing scenes.

#How old were you when you saw a kissing scene for the first time?

I must have been seven or eight years old. It used to get awkward for my family when something like that would pop up on the screen. They used to either fast forward it or throw me out of the room.

#You started the kissing trend in Bollywood. So, would you take the credit for sensitising the industry and making kissing commonplace?

Yes, I played a big part in it. I've corrupted the youth, audience and Bollywood! Erotic thrillers were not a part of our cinematic culture until we got into it and did well. It was criticised and shunned by a section of the media and audience. But it has been accepted gradually and now, it is a part and parcel of our films.

#With more and more actors open to kissing on screen, do you worry it will take away from your niche?

No, I'll always be the guy who pioneered it.

#Your cousin, Alia Bhatt is also following in your footsteps and locking lips in every film?

She is definitely not following in my footsteps. She has kissed in a couple of films. She is very young, has done some nice films and is also catering to kids who are tuned into her kind of movies.

#If you ever write a book, will you include a chapter on how to kiss? 

I can write a whole book on it; it won't be just one chapter (laughs).


#You've never been linked with any actress. Would you say you're very loyal or very smart?

I could be either one. People feel it's bizarre that I've not been linked. But why can't you have affairs and then conceal them well? I'm not answering that question. It'll get me into trouble either ways (smiles).

#Which of your films has your wife enjoyed?

She has not watched a few films, which may get difficult for her to digest. Some of her favourites are Shanghai and The Dirty Picture. She likes films in which I don't kiss. But she has always been supportive.

Your 'plastic' comment on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on a chat show raised eyebrows... 
I like Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. For the longest time, I was a big fan of hers. I respect all those people I spoke about on the show. It's the format of the show, you have got to be slightly controversial and you have to do it to win the hamper. So everything is taken in jest.

#You have completed a decade in the industry. How has the journey been so far?

There have been many ups and downs. I was sleepwalking in the first five years of my career because I was not really passionate about this job. It was not like a childhood dream. But after that, I started enjoying the process of acting and making films.

#The industry seems to have now welcomed you with open arms. How do you react to this drastic change?

I didn't want to get accepted by the industry. I was okay as long as the audience was accepting me, as long as there were filmmakers who felt that I could really contribute to a film. And I had filmmakers who were doing that. Then slowly, those films, which were shunned, became mainstream and a sizeable portion of the audience started coming and watching my movies. My films didn't conform to what was out there. I felt very proud that I was not doing things that other people were doing and yet, my work was finding a niche for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment